Chris Dennis was last seen at 6am on Wednesday, May 22nd, while camping with friends on Cayuga Lake, at the Johnson property at 890 Lone Retreat Road, Trumansburg, NY north of Taughnack State Park.
He asked his friends if they wanted to join him to go canoeing. His friends declined and that was the last sighting of him.
His canoe was discovered overturned 4 miles north of the campsite near the center of the lake. The water temperature is close to 40 degrees, so hypothermia sets in very quickly.
The Seneca County Police along with several other county departments are treating this as a water accident coordinating the search and rescue. They are currently using small boats to check the shore lines. They had an aircraft that is searching as well, but we really need a ground search and need as many volunteers as possible. Please see the VOLUNTEER and DONATE pages to help.
This is all we know right now. Please help. Chris is a loved son, brother and member of the Cornell community. Time is of the essence.
- Search continues for missing Cornell student (IthacaJournal.com)
- Ithaca man missing on Cayuga Lake (wbng.com)
- Crews continuing search for missing canoeist on Cayuga Lake (9wsyr.com)
- Ithaca man missing after canoeing on Cayuga Lake (newsday.com)
- Lake search to resume for missing Cornell student (newsday.com)
- Cornell student missing after canoeing on NY lake (newsday.com)